Defense Acquisition Acronyms and Terms (O)
O&M Operation and Maintenance
O&S Operations and Support (phase of the Defense Acquisition Management Framework and of the Business Capability Lifecycle (BCL)); also a Life Cycle Cost (LCC) Category
OA Obligation Authority; Operational Assessment
OASD Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense
OB Operating Budget
OBE Overcome By Events
OCD Operational Concept Document (Air Force)
OCLL Office, Chief of Legislative Liaison (Army)
OCI Observable Critical Item
OCO Overseas Contingency Operations
OCP Observable Critical Process
OCR Office of Collateral Responsibility
OCSA Office of the Chief of Staff, U.S. Army
ODC Ozone Depleting Chemical
ODS Ozone Depleting Substance
OE Operational Effectiveness
OEM Original Equipment Manufacturer
OFPP Office of Federal Procurement Policy (Office of Management and Budget (OMB))
OGC Office of the General Counsel
OIPT Overarching Integrated Product Team
OJT On-the-Job Training
OLA Office of Legislative Affairs (Navy)
OM/A/N/AF/MC Operation and Maintenance (Appropriation), Army/Navy/Air Force/ Marine Corps
OMB Office of Management and Budget
OMIS Obsolescence Management Information System (Navy)
OMS/MP Operational Mode Summary/Mission Profile
ONR Office of Naval Research
OP/A/N/AF Other Procurement (Appropriation), Army/Navy/Air Force
OPEVAL Operational Evaluation (Navy)
OPM Office of Personnel Management
OPNAV Office of the Chief of Naval Operations
OPNAVINST OPNAV Instruction (Navy)
OPR Office of Primary Responsibility
OPSEC Operations Security
OPTEVFOR Operational Test and Evaluation Force (Navy)
ORLA Optimum Repair Level Analysis (See LOR/A (Level of Repair/Analysis))
OR/SA Operations Research/Systems Analysis
OS Open Systems; Operational Suitability
OSA Open Systems Architecture
OSD Office of the Secretary of Defense
OSE Open Systems Environment
OSHA Occupational Safety and Health Act; Occupational Safety and Health Administration
OSIA On-Site Inspection Agency
OSIP Operational System Integration Plan
OT Operational Testing
OT&E Operational Test and Evaluation
OTA Operational Test Agency
OTP Operational Test Plan
OTRR Operational Test Readiness Review
OUA Operational Utility Assessment
OUSD Office of the Under Secretary of Defense
OUSD(AT&L) Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology and Logistics)
OV Operational Views
Hagan, G (2011) Glossary of Defense Acquisition Acronyms & Terms. Defense Acquisition University Press. Fort Belvoir, VA., 22060
Index of Acronyms
Incoming search terms:operational mode summary/mission profile, Operational Mode Summary/Mission Profile (OMS/MP)
The RAND Corporation has an excellent summary of the U.S. Government-Wide and Department of Defense (DoD) Definitions of Research and Development (R&D). This helps show the differences between the full government’s view and the DoD specific labeling (6.1, 6.2, 6.3…). This break down in the definitions of R&D is also referred to as the Government’s “Color of Money” which is simply the variant of Government dollars that a program or project can accept or a funding entity may be able to provide. This is extremely important to understand when planning the Navy Budget.
To focus specifically on the DoD definitions for DoD Acquisition the definitions are:
- Basic Research (6.1) – Systematic study directed toward greater knowledge or understanding of the fundamental aspects of phenomena and/or observable facts without specific applications toward processes or products in mind.
- Applied Research (6.2) – Systematic study to gain knowledge or understanding necessary to determine the means by which a recognized and specific need may be met.
- Advanced Technology Development (6.3) – Includes all efforts that have moved into the development and integration of hardware for field experiments and tests.
- Demonstration and Validation (6.4) – Includes all efforts necessary to evaluate integrated technologies in as realistic an operating environment as possible to assess the performance or cost reduction potential of advanced technology.
- Engineering and Manufacturing Development (6.5) – Includes those projects in engineering and manufacturing development for Service use but which have not received approval for full rate production.
- Research and Development Test & Evaluation (RDT&E) Management Support (6.6) – Includes R&D efforts directed toward support of installation or operations required for general R&D use. Included would be test ranges, military construction, maintenance support of laboratories, operations and maintenance of test aircraft and ships, and studies and analyses in support of R&D program.
- Operational System Development (6.7) – Includes those development projects in support of development acquisition programs or upgrades still in engineering and manufacturing development, but which have received Defense Acquisition Board (DAB) or other approval for production, or for which production funds have been included in the DoD budget submission for the budget or subsequent fiscal year.
- Developmental Test and Evaluation – Efforts associated with engineering or support activities to determine the acceptability of a system, subsystem, or component.
- Operational Test and Evaluation – Efforts associated with engineering or support activities to determine the acceptability of a system, subsystem, or component.