There are three movies that I’m looking forward to this month. So with that the exciting movies of December 2014 are:
1. Unbroken – I finished this book and out of the nearly 60 books I’ve read this year… this was by far the best.
2. The Imitation Game – I think this one is the intellectual sleeper of the month.
3. The Hobbit – The Battle of the Five Armies. Can’t finish up this epic tale without this great story.
Having completed my first Ultra Marathon (50K) in June 2014, I decided it would be helpful to make a list of everything I used during the race; Running first 50K Checklist. This will help me in my next Ultra Marathon and hopefully someone else out there preparing for a marathon or ultra in the future. This was my first Ultra distance and I had completed a several Marathons by that time but I had not done a marathon distance on a trail. I was super excited and very nervous.
Navy PT running shorts
New Balance short sleeve tee
Socks (2 pair; one to wear, one to change into post race)
Nike Air Max shoes (would have preferred a trail focused shoe)
Nike Shoes (as backup or for a post race change)
Change of clothes for post-race
Nathan Hydration Pack
iPhone (music and Nike Plus)
Jaybird Bluetooth Headphones
Vaseline (heavily applied to friction points)
Sunscreen (Waterproof, 50 spf)
12 Gu Packs (Salted Caramel, Espresso, Chocolate)
2 Clif Protein Bars
2 Liters of Water (in Hydration Pack)
Post race fuel:
32 oz of chocolate coconut water
nuun hydration tablets (will use 1-2 post race)
Wish list: (things I wish I had)
More hours on my legs…
We’ve reviewed Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Jonathan Greenert testimony to the House Armed Services Committee. Admiral Greenert has posted his 2014 CNO Navigation Plan for Fiscal Years (FY) 2015-2019. Key items in the Information Dominance Corps realm within his Sailing Directions are:
WARFIGHTING FIRST –
- Enhance our ability to maneuver freely in the electromagnetic spectrum by equipping our ships with more capability to intercept signals and conduct information warfare, and by adding jamming and deception capabilities to counter advanced anti-ship missiles. The budget request also supports the Next Generation Jammer, providing the EA-18G GROWLER with enhanced Airborne Electronic Attack capabilities starting in 2021.
- Strengthen our cyber posture by developing systems to deter, detect, and mitigate insider threats and safeguard classified national security information. We will also align Navy networks with a more defensible DOD Joint Information Environment through installations of Consolidated Afloat Networks and Enterprise Services (CANES) on combatants and at Maritime Operation Centers; implement the Next Generation Enterprise Network (NGEN) ashore; and consolidate data centers. In addition, we are establishing a single Navy “CYBERSAFE” authority to manage cyber security of Navy-wide networks, platforms, BE READY America’s Navy is at its best when operating forward. Our overseas presence gives the President options, and bolsters global stability through frequent engagement with allies and partners, building trust and confidence.
OPERATE FORWARD – While no individual bullet point sites a specific task for the Information Dominance Corps (IDC) the major move to push more ships & forces forward, increase their Operational Tempo, and rotate crews at the edge are major changes. Thus the IDC importance is built within every bullet point listed. These changes make the Network and Communication mission sets of the IDC more significant. It also challenges network availability & integrity while stressing satellite and terrestrial communication pathways with higher traffic loads and most likely a more congested spectrum loading.
BE READY –
- Continues to evolve Information Dominance as a mainstream warfighting discipline by establishing a dedicated Type Commander – the Navy Information Dominance Forces Command – responsible for the readiness of intelligence, oceanography and meteorology, information warfare, networks, and space capabilities.
Follow A Cyber Fellow on Twitter!
Exciting Movies of December 2014 http://t.co/czyY8iVGGt
Running First 50K Checklist http://t.co/ra2Q7bntqX
2014 CNO Navigation Plan for Fiscal Years (FY) 2015-2019 [Strategy] http://t.co/OXUJwu820w