Quite happy to report that I finally made time to finish XCOM: Enemy Unknown. It was a long time in coming as I had been looking forward to the game as I noted in my Best Video Games of Holiday Season 2012 (back in August) and the actual release of this great game in October! I’m a big XCOM Fan and this title lived up to my expectations thus my review. Created with perceivable love for this series, the FIRAXIS team did a great job!
One of my favorite things from the original series was using the Guided Missile(XCOM)/Guided Torpedo launcher (XCOM: Terror from the Deep) to zip through the level to destroy that perfectly positioned Alien. While the fidelity wasn’t the same on Enemy Unknown, I did get quite excited when I was able to research and finally produce this same launcher. Ultimately it hit that perfect medium between nostalgia and updated implementation.
Xbox 360’s SmartGlass shows my hard earned achievement on my iPhone. Of note the “Classic Difficulty.” I figured being an experienced XCOMer I could handle it. Clearly my excitement is conveyed via my avatar’s expression!
Seriously, if you’re looking to venture away from what has become the standard First Person shooter console experience XCOM: Enemy Unknown, a great turn based game, is where you should start!
I feel XCOM and X-COM: Terror from the Deep was one of the best video games ever. The full X-COM: Collection is a great group of games overall but departed a bit from what I truly enjoyed in the originals. This team of game developers for XCOM: Enemy Unknownhave a certain passion similar to my own. In a very quick planning session before each mission the game play is turn based which provides exceptional variables which challenge you to know and correctly utilize each member of your unit. Based on the experience and expertise of each squad member you must ensure you don’t try and move or do too much through each turn lest you leave your people vulnerable to the alien agressors. In addition the game has gotten pretty great reviews.
Either way this game is going to be one of my most played and favorites for 2012. At effectively $45 ($59.99 + $15 pre-order credit*) this is the best price deal I’ve seen thus far for XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
*A $15 promotional code will be emailed to you within two days of your order shipment. The Elite Soldier Pack bonus will be available in the product packaging. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. This offer will be extended to all pre-orders. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.
[Get XCOM: Enemy Unknown]
Incoming search terms:xcom ps3 vs xbox, earfj8
When the weather starts to turn from hot and humid to the cooler fall the first thing that comes to mind is the major releases of console video games. The holiday season has aligned major publishers to start releasing great titles from September through November. With that said I’ve created a collection of the major video game releases for this fall and the Holiday season of 2012. Hopefully you’ll find a great Birthday present or Christmas gift for that special gamer in your life! The best video games of 2012 will be:
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II – Release on 11/13/2012 available from Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy
- Halo 4 – Release on 11/6/2012 available from Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown – Release on 10/9/2012 available from Amazon, GameStop
- Madden NFL 13 – Release on 8/28/2012 available from Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy
- Assassin’s Creed III– Release on 10/30/2012 available from Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy
- Nike + Kinect Training – Release on 10/30/2012 available from Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy
- FIFA Soccer 13 – Release on 9/25/2012 available from Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy
- LEGO Lord of the Rings – Release on 10/30/2012 available from Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy
- Medal of Honor: Warfighter – Release on 10/23/2012 available from Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy
- Borderlands 2 – Release on 9/18/2012 available from Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy
- Far Cry 3 – Release on 12/4/2012 available from Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy
- Hitman: Absolution – Release on 11/20/2012 available from Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy
Don’t forget to check out the different places I’ve highlighted for deals. Remember that Amazon has the Pre-order price guarantee and normally provides shipping to support release day arrival. GameStop allows for pick up in store with their Pickup@Store program and they also have a Pre-order price guarantee. Best Buy allows for in store pickup and has their Reward Zone program if you’re a frequent shopper at this Big Box store.