I’ve had the pleasure to listen, think, and ponder while Vint Cerf has spoken at various events. As the picture demonstrates he is an impeccably dressed individual; I’ve only ever seen him in 3 piece suits.
His keynote “The Internet of Things and Sensors and Actuators!” at LISA ’12 is similar to one he gave at Carnegie Mellon University last fall. It is my humble opinion that hearing Mr. Cerf speak about this topic is an exceptional experience to gain insight into the greater challenges of the Internet and especially its future.
Absolutely no need to listen to the intro – JUMP to the 15:00 point to get to the beginning of the Keynote, Enjoy!
[Video via USENIX]
One of the important things in the Information Technology field is the ability to not only understand the technology itself but to be able to expertly navigate the human network. With that said we’re taking a look at the Best of the Best in Professional Cyber Security Organizations and Conferences:
USENIX, the Advanced Computing Systems Association:
- Fosters technical excellence and innovation
- Supports and disseminates research with a practical bias
- Provides a neutral forum for discussion of technical issues
- Encourages computing outreach into the community at large
USENIX Annual Technical Conference (USENIX ATC ’12) is their main conference. USENIX ATC ’12 will take place June 12–15, 2012 in Boston.
IEEE, pronounced “Eye-triple-E”, stands for the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
- foster technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity.
- essential to the global technical community and to technical professionals everywhere, and be universally recognized for the contributions of technology and of technical professionals in improving global conditions.
IEEE Symposium on Security & Privacy is their main Cyber Security conference. IEEE SEC & PRI will take place May 20-23, 2012 in San Francisco.
ISOC, Internet Society, founded by Vint Cerf:
- world’s trusted independent source of leadership for Internet policy, technology standards, and future development.
- More than simply advancing technology, they work to ensure the Internet continues to grow and evolve as a platform for innovation, economic development, and social progress for people around the world.
Network & distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS) occured on February 5-8, 2012 in San Diego.
ACM, Association for Computing Machinery:
- widely recognized as the premier membership organization for computing professionals, delivering resources that advance computing as a science and a profession
- enables professional development
- promote policies and research that benefit society.
ACM Computer and Communications Security (ACM CSS) Conference will occur on October 16-18, 2012 in Raleigh.
[via David Brumley]