We’ve reviewed Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Jonathan Greenert testimony to the House Armed Services Committee. Admiral Greenert has posted his 2014 CNO Navigation Plan for Fiscal Years (FY) 2015-2019. Key items in the Information Dominance Corps realm within his Sailing Directions are:
WARFIGHTING FIRST –
- Enhance our ability to maneuver freely in the electromagnetic spectrum by equipping our ships with more capability to intercept signals and conduct information warfare, and by adding jamming and deception capabilities to counter advanced anti-ship missiles. The budget request also supports the Next Generation Jammer, providing the EA-18G GROWLER with enhanced Airborne Electronic Attack capabilities starting in 2021.
- Strengthen our cyber posture by developing systems to deter, detect, and mitigate insider threats and safeguard classified national security information. We will also align Navy networks with a more defensible DOD Joint Information Environment through installations of Consolidated Afloat Networks and Enterprise Services (CANES) on combatants and at Maritime Operation Centers; implement the Next Generation Enterprise Network (NGEN) ashore; and consolidate data centers. In addition, we are establishing a single Navy “CYBERSAFE” authority to manage cyber security of Navy-wide networks, platforms, BE READY America’s Navy is at its best when operating forward. Our overseas presence gives the President options, and bolsters global stability through frequent engagement with allies and partners, building trust and confidence.
OPERATE FORWARD – While no individual bullet point sites a specific task for the Information Dominance Corps (IDC) the major move to push more ships & forces forward, increase their Operational Tempo, and rotate crews at the edge are major changes. Thus the IDC importance is built within every bullet point listed. These changes make the Network and Communication mission sets of the IDC more significant. It also challenges network availability & integrity while stressing satellite and terrestrial communication pathways with higher traffic loads and most likely a more congested spectrum loading.
BE READY –
- Continues to evolve Information Dominance as a mainstream warfighting discipline by establishing a dedicated Type Commander – the Navy Information Dominance Forces Command – responsible for the readiness of intelligence, oceanography and meteorology, information warfare, networks, and space capabilities.
Incoming search terms:CNO\s Navigation Plan 2015-2019
If you have taken the time to read Imminent Domain by Admiral Jonathan Greenert you understand the priority of the Electromagnetic Spectrum (EMS) and Cyberspace Operations set by the Chief of Naval Operations. The U.S. Navy has recently explored numerous options while conducting a Massive Multiplayer Online Wargame Leveraging the Internet (MMOWGLI) on Electromagnetic Maneuver. What wasn’t focused on was the larger ramifications the U.S. Political system has on the options available to the Navy and Department of Defense (DoD).
The White House plan expands access of the EMS for innovation growth and commercial use; the DoD plan has demonstrated increasing reliance on the EMS. While the DoD supports the “national economic and security goals” of the Nation it is facing another “do more, with less” scenario as massive capability growth depends on dwindling allocations of the EMS. As Mr. Lawrence Lessig points out (at about 8:20) individuals in the U.S. Government (USG) have attempted to deregulate portions of the EMS in recent history. Why did the deregulation attempt fail? Lessig conveys that it was due to the massive and self perpetuating ecosystem created by the current day U.S. Political System.
So the causal argument consists of:
- Navy is unable to support the missions assigned by the DoD which are dependent on the EMS; because
- the DoD is not able to provide adequate ability to leverage enough of the EMS for warfighting; because
- the DoD must comply with the Federal Regulations which govern use of the Nation’s EMS; because
- the EMS is still allocated in an antiquated fashion; because
- the USG is no longer capable of affecting positive change to advance National interests; because
- the National interests are determined by politicians elected within the current political system; because
- the political system cannot be reformed by the politicians who respond to the demands of the voting populous; because
- the voting populous is only able to vote for those that the funders fund; because
- the funders fund only those candidates which support their personal interests.
Interesting isn’t it? I believe Mr. Lessig is on to something; Political Reform is my first priority. What do you think? What is your “first priority?”
Incoming search terms:us spectrum
The U.S. Navy just released it’s Information Dominance Roadmap 2013-2028. This document serves as the Information Dominance Corps (IDC) strategy document into the future.
Looking for additional IDC and Navy Strategy documents check out Navy Cyber Power 2020 which supports the Navy Strategy for Achieving Information Dominance, additional related supporting documents include: the Navy Information Dominance Roadmap, 2013-2028; the Navy IDC Human Capital Strategy, 2012-2017; the Naval Intelligence Strategy, 2013-2020; and, the 2013 Navy Space Strategy. Within this integrated framework, the Navy begins in earnest the process of marshaling its resources, galvanizing the workforce, and aligning Navy’s Information Dominance capabilities to fully enable the Navy’s primary tenet of Warfighting First.
[via TENTH FLEET]
Incoming search terms:information dominance roadmap, information dominance corps roadmap, U S Navy Information Dominance Roadmap, navy IDC roadmap, dod Information Dominance Roadmap, milestone road map ip information professional navy, US Navy Information Dominance Roadmap
Follow A Cyber Fellow on Twitter!
"Exploit Kits: Anatomy of Sliverlight exploit" http://t.co/Azn1dgyavS
"Cisco Demonstrating Solutions for a variety of utilities needs at DistribuTECH" http://t.co/Tv7y0ShE4U
"Facebook Malware Poses as Flash Update, Infects 110K Users" http://t.co/li2W2e90gU
"A singular Facebook Trojan has already infected nearly 110,000 Facebook users" http://t.co/sh6tXhtA1z
"VMware Partner Exchange 2015: Video Preview" https://t.co/MmuvvSBhSC
"Microsoft Delays Windows 10 Server Until 2016" http://t.co/xjI4VucVZ8