2012 was an interesting year. As the year began I was entering the second half of my Fellowship at Carnegie Mellon University. I played geobachelor daddy for a couple months to allow the spouse to accept a new job while I took care of the kids. In April, a shipmate was killed in Afghanistan. We even moved to a new location and I started another job (within the Navy).
- Put 12% of my base salary toward retirement.
- Maxed out annual IRA contribution.
- Purchased a home.
- Maintained Zero credit card debt; rearranged credit cards to maximize reward benefits.
- Enjoyed more time with my kids. As compared to 2011 when I was deployed.
- Ran two marathons. The Pittsburgh Marathon and the Marine Corps Marathon. Ran the latter to raise money for St. Judes (Charity).
- Started this Blog. I know, you’re jealous!
- Went on two big trips. I enjoyed attending CES for the first time and a solo trip home to visit family.
- Invested further in a grown-up wardrobe. Millenium Falcon diagram T-shirts only go so far…although these awesome Millenium Falcon Cufflinks might have to be a part of this new wardrobe.
- Read several books. Check out these great reads!
- Completed 5 academic classes. Through National Defense University, they were CIO 2.0 Roles and Responsibilities, Enterprise Information Security and Risk Management, Information Assurance and Critical Infrastructure Protection, Cyber Security for Information Leaders, and Measuring Results of Organizational Performance.
- Discovered how education is evolving! Do you know what MOOCs are?
- Completed my Fellowship Report.
I’m putting together my 2013 goals now to ensure I have much to strive for! What did you enjoy accomplishing? What are your goals this year?
[Inspired by GMBMFB]
Incoming search terms:accomplishments
The Prototype Movie (2013) by Andrew Will is one of the best coming films Sci-Fi movies to look forward to in 2013. If you are not aware of my affinity for Kurzweil’s work then you aren’t paying attention and need to catch up on some reading, especially Abundance. I enjoy a good movie, but I love a great “thinking” movie, I’m hoping for the later in the Prototype movie. Look past the normal Hollywood facade.
What are your concerns when there is a fully aware Artificial Intelligence (AI) Robotic being roaming the Earth? It is not so very far off. LS3 aka “Big Dog” has been in development for years now and has a exceptionally fast cousin. Obviously being led by the defense sector this places The Prototype movie in a significant realistic setting in the next several years. Add the adaptation of technology and its blending with human capabilities, which Kurzweil discusses (think Google’s Glass Project), and you’re not so very far from his described Singularity.
The interesting component of the Prototype movie is the massive amount of work required to make these things realistic. Over the past year I’ve seen several of the leading technologies and their current status. There are so many different applications for nearly every component capability which enables a Singularity entity that the concern could be that the date at which the Singularity actually occurs will be delayed by distraction of other markets beyond that which would directly contribute to the occurrence of the Singularity.
One thing is for sure – I’m excited to see and think through the Prototype movie!
[via Kurzweil AI]
Incoming search terms:the prototype movie, prototype movie, prototype movie 2013, the prototype andrew will, the prototype 2013, The Prototype Movie 2013, the prototype andrew will release date, why andrew will movie prototype didnt release, andrew will the prototype movie release date, the prototype, prototype 2013 movie, yhs-ddc_bd
Follow A Cyber Fellow on Twitter!
Just wet my pants a lil... http://t.co/pzgOKWLt6Y