A couple days ago I discovered Back to the Roots, their initiative and website. In past years I’ve enjoyed keeping Saltwater fish and even an entire reef, but that is another story. Anyway, when I saw Back to the Roots’ offerings I couldn’t help but preorder one of their Home Aquaponics Garden. I like fresh greens and I like fish; I love a closed-loop ecosystem. It will be fun and exciting to see how well the ecosystem works and if it actually is in harmony.
This Aquaponics Garden Kit comes with:
- The aquaponics tank & garden kit top
- Air pump to bring your nutrients up and oxygenate the water (the ecosystem shares like recirculating aquaculture systems)
- 5 pots with pebbles (where the plants will grow)
- Organic seeds (mixture of various herbs)
- Fish food and water conditioners to get started right away
It will be interesting to see what kind of fish we pick out for the little aquaponic fish tank. A small 3 gallon aquaponics tank like this can hold up to 3 inches of fish maximum. It should be interesting to get started in a bit of aquaculture. I’m definitely looking forward to setting it up with my kids and seeing them learn from the experience!
While I was surfing the Back to the Roots website I ended up getting one of their grow-at-home mushroom kits. It lets you grow up to 1 1/2 lbs of oyster mushrooms. I know what you are thinking… first box wine and now box mushrooms? Again this effort will be more from an educational and fun perspective than anything else.
Follow A Cyber Fellow on Twitter!