2015 Annual Goal, Quarter 1 Review.
I’ve struggled to put my 2015 Goals together; in fact my 2014 Goals were written down but only made it onto an ever-rewritten 3×5 notecard which I kept in my pocket. I was pretty satisfied with what I accomplished in 2014, but I missed some of the life goal building blocks toward the 10,000 hour expertise mark.
- Educate and Develop my children. I plan to focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). We’ll start with a large dose of Legos.
- Enjoy 75 Books. I was able to completely enjoy 61 great books in 2014.
- Run 2 Ultra marathons and 2 marathons. I was able to accomplish 1 Ultra marathon and 3 marathons in 2014. I’d like to move from the 50K (approximately 31 miles) I accomplished this year to the 40 or 50 mile ultra marathon distance. This will be an extremely challenging stretch goal. Additionally, I’d like to accomplish 2 marathons along the way. A couple of the options are the Marine Corps Marathon (it would be my 4th year in a row) or the New York City Marathon (if I don’t do the MCM).
- Make a new Sous Vide Recipe Monthly. One of the gifts I received this holiday was an Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator. I’m looking forward to the numerous different things to prepare via this cooking method. Some of the different things I plan to try are available at Anova, Serious Eats, Polyscience, Williams-Sonoma, and Chef Steps.
- Family Trip. We enjoyed a couple of great trips in 2014; I escaped to bear hunt with my father and brother and enjoyed Florida with my family. I’d like to continue to ensure the family enjoys exploring the world of travel.
- Lead Effectively. I shall continue to effectively lead Naval Computer and Telecommunications Area Master Station Atlantic (NCTAMS LANT) Detachment Hampton Roads which includes the Unified Atlantic Region Network Operations Center. At the same time, I plan to continue to develop as a leader within the Information Dominance Corps, Information Professionals, and overall as a Naval Officer.
- Teach Effectively. I’ve developed my expertise and truly enjoy developing expertise in others. I will put that into action by teaching at University of Maryland University College and Tidewater Community College.
- Be published two times.
- Invest 100 hours in learning new languages (Life goal – 10,000 hours). I will use Duolingo and start with Spanish.
- Invest 100 hours in coding (Life goal – 10,000 hours). I used and completed several courses in 2014 from Codeacademy. I’ll continue to use them and other MOOCs to enhances my abilities in 2015.
- Invest 100 hours in Robotics (Life goal – 10,000 hours). I will use Lego Mindstorms to continue to develop this knowledge while educating my children.
- Increase my income by 10%. Maintain/Increase performance in the Navy and teaching will be the methods to further this goal.
- Reduce debt. The only debt we hold as a family is our mortgage, one vehicle loan and significant student loans. I plan to eliminate the vehicle loan and focus on knocking out a large portion of the student loans.
- Live within Monthly Budget. We’ve lived within a budget for several years, but I’d like to continue to refine and maximize the available money toward meeting the financial goals. This will be reviewed quarterly to ensure we’re spending responsibly.
- Tailor/Verify/Diversify Investments. We will review our investments and plans with a financial advisor to continue to refine and maximize the family investment plan.
Inspired by Krystal Yee’s Givemebackmyfivebucks.